Friday, January 6, 2012

1.1 (L'un)

I arrived at Elysian Skies Ranch looking for a new start, Plumbobs and Great Berries... did I need it. I took one long breath in through my nose, the scent of sweet vanilla mixed in with the refreshing, crisp scent of apples. It had been a while since I could even remember what my mother's baked apple pie was like, but now I would never have another bite from the delicious bit of heaven she used to make. I shook the dreadful realization from my body, gathered my luggage and hauled it up the steps into what used to be my parents' room. My father wasn't here and I was relieved that I didn't have to reunite with him after all we had been through. I still needed that time to adjust from all the recent failures I went through. Coco took off for bigger and better things after Tom Wordy offered her and the Pops a record deal, but by then I had my heartbroken too many times to pull it together and be in the spotlight any longer. I need this fresh start, I really needed to grow up and stop running away like a teenager.

I didn't even strip my clothes off before I laid myself down, and soon dreams whirled around me and I was swept away until the next morning, that's when I heard it. The loud knocking, the banging, the noise that ceased only when I got up to look out the window, it was Quincy Miller. He had known my family for as long as I could recall, I was just a little Berry when my father and him took up to breeding and showing as partners. But what was he doing?! I gathered myself up, got dressed and made my way down to confront him.



"Quincy, QUINCY!" I shouted, he had started up with the pounding again on the front porch, my voice catching him slightly by surprise.

He composed himself while I gave him the slight stink eye, I guess I wasn't quite the morning person today.



"My, my look who it is! Little Miss Moonbeam!" He jokingly spoke in my direction, hiding his laughter under his breath while he greeted me. He placed the hammer into his tool bag on the ground afterwards.



"And what is causing you to wake up sleeping Berries this early in the morning?!" I shot back at him, hiding my embarrassment.



I spoke softly, while I hid my gaze from him, "I am so sorry Quincy, I guess I am just not starting my day off on the right foot!"



He had been working on the front porch, making sure the whole place didn't fall apart, I guess it hadn't had anyone to occupy it since neither my father or I were there for the longest time. Poor Quincy was left to take care of everything, on top of his own farm! I couldn't believe it had been vacant for so long.

"I can't believe you've taken care of Elysian Skies for so long, how long as it been now?" I spoke up once more, turning my gaze up toward the country elegant ranch homestead. It was almost somber, and lifeless but I knew it was just the lighting. It's green, knotty pine railing wrapped around most of the house, hugging it with a sort of warmth only homes in Appaloosa Plains seemed to have.



"You know I need to take care of the horses, just because your father isn't around doesn't mean we're not in agreements. Plus this place was like a second home for me, especially when my dearest Jacquie kicked me out." He laughed out loudly when he finished speaking, smiling coyly as he glanced over to see if I was laughing too.

I was, and I felt at home again, right then. Even if I still couldn't get over the last five years being slightly wasted, I knew I was glad to be here again and that nothing seemed to change even if I had.



He then stepped back and began to make his way to the front door. "I am just going to finish up here, I have to be in Sunset Valley for a breeders showcase, I think this year we're going to take the blue ribbon again!" He boasted while he moved past me.





"Is that right? Which horses do we still have here at the ranch? Any particulars? I do hope Whisper is around." I was hopeful, but sure that my old mare was long sold, or taken out to pasture.



"Well you know the answer to that one, but I do believe you might know one of them out back. I am sure he missed you quite a bit! Why don't you go see for yourself little Moonbeam?" Quincy wiped the sweat gathering at his brow, his work almost done. He was almost like the father I never had, but I knew he had always seemed like a surrogate for me while growing up.



I wasn't sure who he could have been speaking of, I felt almost ashamed that I hadn't checked myself the previous night but I grew excited and immediately nodded at his suggestion! "Of course I am going! I can't believe I hadn't yet!"



Quincy just smiled and laughed, I think he was glad I was back and he made me feel welcomed. Even if my father was miles away I knew the feelings of despair might return but for now I was happy to be at Elysian Skies. I secretly held onto this feeling right there, enjoying every little bit of it and hoping that it would grow along with my desires to remain here and help the ranch prosper once again. Even if that meant hiding from my past, and the things that lingered still. I pushed it all behind me and made my way to the paddocks.



Sure enough there were two in the far paddock. The dazzling, and glistening coat of the mare amazed me. I hadn't seen such a magnificent animal in such a long time. I guess that is what I get for being an "every-now-and-then" pop junkie in Bridgeport, making too many failed relationships work, with friends, bandmates and whoever really. The animal that stood in front of me looked into some far off distance, not minding my presence as I got closer and let myself into the gated area.



I watched her approach the water trough before my eyes turned to the familiar horse nearest to me. I remember him being only a little colt when I had run away. In so much time he seemed to have grown so tall, 15 hands at best... but I needed to get closer and make sure he could remember me like I remembered him. He grew to be just like Whisper, but his coat gleamed just a bit brighter than that of his mother's. Ghost... I thought silently to myself before approaching him. "My little Ghost Buster... all grown up I see." I whispered out toward him, my hand only quivering a moment as I lifted it towards his muzzle.





His muzzle was soft, velvety and was slightly moistened from recently being down on the dewy grass, grazing. He was my Ghost, I thought even harder. I left him behind, and forgot that he'd have to be here without me, I was truly selfish and yet he still allowed me near enough just like when I was younger and turned to him when everything got rough around here.



"Ghost, it's me, Moon. I hope you remember me." I said softly, moving myself closer to the animal, I could tell now that he was far rom 15 hands, perhaps 17 at best.



My fingers caressed his muzzle as he nipped at my hand ever so gently, his nostrils flaring and pushing out steamy whirls of breath before taking in the scent on my hand. I wasn't sure what he would be smelling, or if he'd familiarize himself with me once again. But I leaned in and whispered how much I had missed being here, and that I was sorry for being such a fuck up.



But Ghost never judged me, and for that I owed him so much. I vowed to take care of him, and to stop running away from my problems, even if it meant facing my father, or the rift that tore us so deeply apart those years ago.



"I am here for good this time Ghost, I promise."



After that the mare was getting curious, nudging my backside while I whispered hope and promises to my beloved companion. I wasn't sure of her name, but I know I could probably find out from Quincy later. She was a beauty but I knew by looking into her deep chestnut eyes that she wasn't quite sure of me just yet. I extended my hand out having previously grabbed a treat from the barn before venturing toward the paddocks. Perhaps she'd warm up to me just for this morning.



I was happy to know that I wasn't easily judged by her, and she accept my peace offering. Whisking it from my palm, her whiskers tickling it.



Ever so slowly I reached up to stroke her cheek, she was weary of me though. But ears were extended forward, perhaps just curious since Ghost took so well to me.



I wasn't going to try too hard, I had a lot on my mind and I had some letters to go through. I think a bundle were from my father, or so Quincy had mentioned sometime in between here and there.



And this is where my story begins. (See Prélude.) I sat there in the sun room and read the most recent letter. I guess he thought I was going to be back here sooner, but he was wrong and just when did he leave again? Where did it all exactly go wrong? I needed to push it all out of mind for good or else my story was going to wither up and die, some tragedy just spiraling into infinity. I didn't want that.





I definitely didn't want that, I needed to stay positive, for all Berries sake! I needed to get back to my roots and start fresh, no matter what I was going to heal myself here at Elysian Skies!



To start off I took a seat out on the front porch, I needed to admire Quincy's handy work on it, and the sun was setting. I felt at peace for the time being. Until I heard something off to my left, I wasn't sure who it was, or maybe what it was.



I looked, and the figure stood up and turned my way but nothing was said as I stared in his direction. "Who are you?" I called, my eyes wandering up and down his body, taking him all in. Just who in the Berry was this?

2 comments: